Wednesday the 17th was scheduled to be my last day at work. I went to work Monday and Tuesday and had a few contractions throughout the day on Tuesday, but nothing uncomfortable or close enough to even worry. Tuesday evening I had a few more and then nothing in the night, so I had planned on heading to work on Wednesday. Well, morning came around and I started having contractions - again not too hard or close together - but I also didn't feel very well...not sick but just not quite myself. So I called my boss and told her I wasn't going to come in. Its a good thing I did, as I started having more contractions throughout the day/evening and by 3 am, we were headed to the hospital. We got there safely as there was predictions of snow and ice that night, but thankfully it was warmer than predicted so there was just rain. I got admitted, check and found I was at 5-6 cm dialated, and then taken to a labor/delivery room. Around 5:30, I got an epidural and felt much more comfortable and was even able to sleep a bit since I hadn't gotten any all night. By 8 am the dr arrived and checked on me and I hadn't dialated any more and my contractions had slowed down, so she broke my water. Around 9:30 or 10, again I had only dialated about 1 cm, so she gave me a very small amount of pitosin (sp?) to help the labor along. Well, that seemed to do the trick because by 11, she came in, checked me and I started pushing. At 11:22 am, Isaiah David came into the world with a full head of black hair and 8 lbs, 12 oz and 20 inches long. I am thankful that I had such an easy labor and hardly had to push and I am feeling really good with hardly any soreness.
After everything was cleaned up, baby checked and measured, I order lunch because I was STARVING!! I fed Isaiah while I waited for lunch, ate and then we headed up to our room we were staying in. We got in there around 2:30 and got our first visitors around 3:15. It was my parents with Hannah. We let Hannah in first to give the four of us a few minutes as a new family and see what she thought of her new brother. She loved on him a lot, gave him a little stuffed frog she brought him, and we also gave her a big sister gift. She would correct us when we called him Isaiah by saying "No...baby brother." Since that's what we called him since we found out, she thinks that's his name. Since we've been home though, she's been more open to trying to call him Isaiah, but still calls him baby brother to us. After Hannah got to meet him, then the rest of the family - grandparents, aunts and uncle and cousins got to come meet him and FINALLY find out his name. Unfortunately he hasn't been able to meet one set of grandparents since they are in California, but Grandma Janice is coming in a few weeks to spend some time here, so he will get to meet her then.
Saturday finally rolled around and we were anxious to come home, but unfortunately is bilirubin test (for jaundice) came back a little high, so they had to draw some blood to have it checked that way. It was still a little high, but not so much we couldn't go home. After waiting for the test to be done, get the results, get discharged, we were finally out of there by about 3 pm. And when we walked out...we walked into a winter wonderland!! It was kinda exciting to come out and go home to a few inches of snow!! Soon after we arrived home, Hannah came home from Grandpa and Grandma's house and we started life as a family. We had a couple "attitude" moments from Hannah, but I also think she was a bit tired too. We'll see how she does today. And I'm sure she will get used to it. She's already trying to be very helpful with the baby and I'm sure will try to do so even more as time progresses.
So, stay tuned for postings now including our newest member of the family too! Thank you to all who were praying for me during the labor and delivery time and for new baby Isaiah! We thank God for such a beautiful, healthy baby that we were able to bring into this world! We are so blessed!!
David and Isaiah just a few minutes old
Getting all cleaned up, tested, weighed and measured
Carissa's parents and all of the grandkids; Isaiah's sister and cousins (side note-he and Cambria are one year and one day apart - she seemed to really like him!)

3 comments:
I am so excited for you! I have tears in my eyes! He is beautiful(handsome!) I love love love the picture of David holding him right after birth....such a PROUD Daddy!!!! Congrats!!!!!!
Such great pictures!! You looked fantastic in those hospital pictures-not fair! :) He is a beautiful baby and I can't wait to meet him!! :)
I'm so glad to see more of the details. You look so good! And so does everyone else. Now, to get down to the business of settling into this new phase. May God give you strength for each day!
Post a Comment